My wonderful, beautiful, fantastic sisters are finally here!!!!
They arrived yesterday afternoon! I left work early, picked up some lattes at Let It Grow, and headed to the airport. They were only about 10 minutes late when their little plane (aka a "school bus with wings" as Kate called it!) touched down on the runway in Cortez, CO. I watched them start unloading the bags and the first passengers get off the plane with anxious excitement. Finally I see a familiar lanky shape duck through the hatch- Bridget!! And Kate was right behind her!! As soon as Bee walked through the double doors and into the tiniest, little, one room airport, tears started rushing down her face. It was mostly relief of being on the ground after their bumpy ride here, but I was certainly so glad to see them, too! We caused an emotional scene in that little airport!
I wasn't sure if they would be up for a little surprise I had planned, but as soon as I suggested it, they were both excited. So we drove the 20 minutes to my favorite little vineyard- Guy Drew's. I had emailed them earlier to make sure they were open on the 23rd, since it was so close to Christmas and they said it wouldn't be a problem at all. We pulled up and entered their cozy and beautifully decorated Spanish style home when Mr. Drew called out "Liz?" Kate and Bee were both impressed I actually knew people out here! The Drews were absolutely wonderful, as usual, and we had a fantastic time tasting their delicious wine, and learning about the wine making, wine tasting process. We are more educated wine drinkers now! We also met their next door neighbors (next door being relative... they are a canyon apart!) who are currently looking for someone to live in their ranch and take care of their mustangs. I had to hold Kate down! She did give me her phone number... just in case I decide to stay out west... Don't worry Mom! We will be on the road back to PA on the 26th!
Kate and Bee were amazed we had to drive that far to get to Hovenweep! There was no ice on the road, so it was easy driving home. We pulled up to my little apartment and Julia had all the Christmas lights on and the frozen pizza in the oven- it was very cozy and just what they needed! We enjoyed each others company, watched a little of Charlie Brown's Christmas before collapsing in our sleeping bags/ beds from emotional exhaustion!
This morning, I woke Bee and Kate up around 8. I headed into the VC early to make sure Doug didn't have any problems opening. Bee and Kate came in a little after 9 and I showed them around the VC and the campground. We then went to Holly, Horseshoe, and Hackberry. They had a great time seeing the ruins and the canyons of the Southwest! Sleeping Ute looked beautiful with it's blue slopes peaking out beneath the white blanket of snow that covered it from foothill to peak. The outline of Shiprock was visible between the hazy clouds, a pale orange sky illuminated it from behind.
We just had lunch, and I sent the two east coast girls, bundled with hats, scarfs, mittens, and wool socks, out on the Square Tower loop with Julia and Doug while I watch the VC. I am allowed to close 2 hours early today, so I am happy that I won't have to spend my whole afternoon here. I doesn't quite feel like Christmas Eve. I feel like I should be sitting at the kitchen table at home, helping Mom make more Christmas cookies, or watching specials on TV. But I am so happy and thankful to have my sisters out here with me and I can't thank Mom and Dad enough for funding their trip out here. It is also reassuring to know that by this time next week, I will be able to sit at the kitchen table, help Mom eat the leftover Christmas cookies, and watch reruns on TV.
We wish everyone a very merry Christmas full of laughter and love. We are thinking about you all out here, and can't wait to be back home in PA!
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!!!
Love Always,
Lizzy, Bridget, and Caitlin
No comments:
Post a Comment