a petroglyph from Sand Island, outside Bluff.
the ladder inside the kiva at Edge of the Cedars Museum in Blanding.
Spruce Tree House.
Spruce Tree House.
Walk ways at Mesa Verde.
Greetings!
I hope every one's holiday season is going well and is relatively stress-free! Julia and I have been wrapping, decorating, and preparing for the arrival of Bee and Kate which is just in 10 short days! Hurray!
Mesa Verde was amazing! We left as soon as I got off work with me flying in the door, changing out of my uniform in record time, grabbing a box of Life and sprinting into the car as Julia pulled out of the driveway. We made good time to get to the bottom of Mesa Verde, and then had to continue the 20 miles up the Mesa to the Museum, where the events were being held. Since Mesa Verde is at a higher elevation then Cortez and Hovenweep, they had a lot of snow everywhere. It was dark, but because the moon was just about full, everything was surprisingly bright. The moon hung in the sky light a bright orb casting a light glow to the snow covered ground and trees around us. The windy road was invisible in the dark but the headlights of cars were visible skirting along the edge of the mesa tops. It reminded me of the Polar Express, a train of vehicles following in a line through this winter wonderland. It was beautiful.
When we finally got to the top, we parked and immediately saw the paths lined with the luminaries casting a yellow light onto the snow covered landscape. We followed the gorgeous paths emerging from the wilderness into the general hub of activity. There the museum and bookstore was lit and we could hear Christmas music playing from inside. A band from one of the local schools was gathered in the auditorium playing well known tunes. We walked around, trying to find Steve and Dana. Julia and I decided to start down to the ruins after we couldn't find them (aka I decided to go down and Julia reluctantly followed). We walked out to the edge and there was Spruce Tree House. It was lit from inside and the ruins just glowed in the darkness. We could see the outline of the path as the luminaries flickered in the night. Unbelievable gorgeous. We walked down slowly, passing friendly groups and families full of holiday cheer. As we get closer, we hear the slow and steady beat of a drum and the eerie melody of an Indian flute. With the full moon and only a handful of bright stars above us, the glowing ruins in front of us, and complete darkness around us, Julia and I both got goosebumps.
The ruins were beautiful. They had only the two people playing music, but it was perfect for the mood. We walked through the 700 year old ruins, imagining the people who use to live here, wondering what they thought of the night sky, imagining their daily lives, knowing they lived so long ago yet their spirits felt so close.
We finally met up with Steve and Dana later that night. They had a difficult evening so they had been running late. It worked out well because they wanted the tour with the guide, which Julia and I had not been keen on doing since we were unsure what they could tell us that we did not already know. So Julia and I headed back into the car down the windy snow covered mesa top, listening to Christmas music, and feeling full of the holiday spirit. I told Julia how tonight had been perfect, out of a storybook. The only thing we were missing was a shooting star to streak across the sky- which of course would be completely unrealistic with how bright the night sky was tonight.
We stopped in Cortez for a frozen pizza and some beer since we dashed off without dinner. On the way back, we kept our eyes open for deer and elk, seeing some deer but unfortunately no elk. Driving along the roads we are familiar with, listening to the radio, we were within 20 miles of Hovenweep when suddenly the remarkable happened.
Directly in front of the car, a bright star fell straight for the horizon at a slow but steady pace. Julia slammed on the breaks and I reached out with my hand to point. When it was within a hand print of the horizon, it disappeared. It was only there for a second, but it was amazingly bright and absolutely unmistakable. We were speechless. To see a shooting star as bright and slow as that one is always a treat- but to see it when the sky was as bright as that night's was is truly unbelievable. It is something I will never forget.
The rest of the weekend has been uneventful. I am at Let It Grow now drinking my chai and eating a delicious vegetable soup with kale and tofu. I received several surprises from my absolutely wonderful family within the past couple days. My mother, who is one of the most amazing people in the entire world, sent me a box filled with gifts to open as we count down for Christmas. I could not be more thankful for that! Julia and I are both absolutely excited to start opening presents every day! Then I received a mysterious envelope from the McDonald Family with directions not to open until December 25... hmm. THEN! When I arrived at Let It Grow this morning, one of the usual employees greeted me very energetically. "I have something for you!" she announced. "Whaaat?" I said, unsure. She started looking around, and a thousand thoughts went through my head- did I leave something here like a credit card or something? She pulled out an envelope with my name on it. "What is this?" I asked in shock. "Open ittt!!!" She sang, almost as excited as I was. Inside was a gift certificate from my wonderful mother! "How is this possible?!" I asked in surprise. She explained how Mom called it in for me. Unbelievable. How wonderfully unexpected!
I miss home loads and can't believe how soon I will be back on the east coast, but you all are making my time out here go amazingly fast with your cards, comments, and gifts! Thank you so much!! I have the best friends (who send me loving pieces of mail!) and the best family ever. I can't wait to be home with all of you! Hope everything is well!
2 comments:
Spruce tree house sounds to me like it should be a sweeeet tree fort man. I guess not. Mary says you'll be back around New Year's and so will I so we'll have a swell time? ohh and I saw a commercial for like Arby's that have fake Shamrock Shakes and I was like they can't have Shamrock Shakes and anyway it made me think of you
Haha I just read more of your posts. I make those big 4WD high clearance trucks that tear up your roads after it rains! I'm glad I could brighten your day haha. But really you should be thankful you aren't a park ranger becuase then you would have to spend all of your time worrying about tie-wearing bears who steal pic-a-nic baskets.
Post a Comment