Monday, September 29, 2008

Discoveries and Losses

Happy Monday!

So far, this week has been pretty lazy. The visitor's center has slowed down considerably and we are all kind of puttering around during the days. Julia and I were able to patrol around the outlier sites together yesterday morning. We went to Cajon to drop off some brochures and reexamine the rock art- our favorite pastime. While we were in the restricted section of the site, under the ledge beneath the ruins, I realized I had not been the whole length of the ledge. I mentioned it to Julia and she immediately led the way through the rock shelters and granaries to the other side. On the way towards the end, we discovered more hand prints and the highlight of our day- two, possibly three, smooth indentations on the rock surface made by manos and metates, or the instruments used to grind corn. When we told Todd about our find and showed him the pictures (I bring my camera everywhere... and for good reason when we discover findings such as these!), he delicately told us he already knew of their existence. We were far from disappointed, though. It was such a rush to see these marks for the first time and understand what they were without sign or hint.

I continued to patrol throughout the day, making record time on the Square Tower Group as I quickly roved right before the end of my shift. Julia and I had a less satisfying night while we together watched the Eagles frustrate us once again. Although she is a Denver fan, she sympathized with our loss since Denver also had a disappointing loss yesterday. Thank Goodness for Penn State! Julia is an Ohio State fan (there is her Ohio roots for you), but I am in the process of convincing her otherwise... aka that Ohio State is devil spawn. We will see how my converting goes.

I am currently reading the next book in the Inheritance Cycle- not trilogy which was disappointing to realize. The author decided it would be too much to conclude the series in just one more book, so the series changed from a trilogy to a cycle, the last book being the unreleased fourth. The third is excellent so far and is taking up most of my free time. When I am not working or reading, I crochet, watch Bones or movies, or dawdle on my computer. I taught Julia 8 minute abs, so we do that on days that I don't run. Because of the altitude, heat, and overall dry desert environment, I lose water by just breathing. I probably drink over 100 ounces a day, casually, not including what I intake after a run. Mom- I have tried to drink more then that through the course of the day, but I fear if I drink too much more, I will simply bounce away like a full water balloon. My aches are getting better, but I realize it will probably just take time for my muscles to get adjusted to this altitude and climate.

I miss you all so much and can not wait to be back on the east coast. I will ask about Christmas and leaving dates asap so you all can start fighting over who will accompany me back to PA!

2 comments:

Rae said...

hi roomie!!! Since it is so hard to get ahold of eachother via phone (since you are not in Ohio time anymore...hahah)I thought this would be the fastest way to say THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for my presents. The scarf is wonderful and the perfect colors...you know me and my pinks! and the stickers of course are going to be put to use very shortly as I am preparing my Halloween cards to send out. You are correct in saying that this Fall is diferent than that others in that it is the first Fall you and I have spent apart. But no worries we can still celebrate Halloween season together via packages and pictures! MIss you soooo much sounds like you are having a great time out there with all your adventures! Can't wait to catch up! Talk to you soon! thanks again and again for the presetns! miss you ok bye! your favorite roomie! rae

Rae said...

oh one more thing i forgot ot mention....i miss my running buddy:-( if you figure out a way in which we can run together on two differnet sides of the country let me know....