Thursday, September 18, 2008

Cozy Corners and Chai Teas






I am in Cortez again for some shopping and internet use. Unfortunately, only one of those seemed to be possible for today. The internet was giving me terrible troubles in Cortez’s Public Library, so I had to meander over to my favorite little garden/ coffee shop. I did find a wonderful little chair in the fiction section to sit with my computer, so it wasn’t all lost.

Yesterday was one of my favorite days out here so far! Ranger Steve took me to Goodman Point, which is a secret part of Hovenweep. It is 144 acres that the Crow Canyon Archaeological Group is currently excavating. It was so awesome to see! They have already done so much, judging by the amount of sites backfilled, but still have so much to do. We got to talk to some of the archaeologists there and they were super nice. They told me that they definitely need help and would appreciate if I came… all I need is Chris’s (my boss) approval. Chris said I can start bringing in gifts whenever I want. They are doing some really remarkable things and are finding structures that are so unique, they have never been documented before in the area. I would LOVE to work on a project like that!! After we talked to the archaeologists, we walked around the site some more, and there is just pottery everywhere! Steve was making fun of how excited I got. I actually saw a core used for flint making! And you could see the basket impressions on some of the pottery and the designs that were hand drawn on them… all just lying in the dirt, waiting to be documented! It was amazing. The entire area has already been looted which is one of the reasons all the pottery shards were just sitting on top of the soil like that, but it was still amazing to see.

Julia left for her vacation with her parents, so it is just me for a little while. Before they left, we had a fire outside and everyone came and sat outside. It was really nice- Mr. Bell was his entertaining charming self and everyone had some good laughs. Last night was the first night I was by myself in the apartment and it was a little scary, but Chris is right next door, so don’t worry, Mom. Tomorrow I am going to go see some sites in the area, so I should have some good photos to put up. I am sad I am missing Bridget’s 21st tomorrow, but I know there will be plenty of people there to help her celebrate!

Alright, well I miss everyone loads and I hope everyone is doing well! Keep in touch!

Above are some pictures from a double full rainbow Julia and I saw a couple days ago and from the awesome storm I was writing about earlier.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Liz, I am sending chocolate chip cookies for you to use as gifts for Chris to allow you time away from your duties in the Visitor Center to go put some pottery together! I'm so jealous that you have the opportunity to do that. Take some pix of the pottery shards for me. We love you, miss you and wish we were there. Really, really.