Sunday, October 19, 2008

Surprise Packages!

I have the bestest friends anyone could ever ask for.

When I walked into the visitor's center this morning, there was a giant package sitting on the floor. I almost tripped over it walking in! Still in my morning fog, I glanced at it on my way to get the campground clipboard, and was surprised to see it was for me! I put it on the table to open after I finish the campground round. Talking to disgruntled visitors, collecting around 15 stubs (a lot for this time of the year!), and cleaning two dirty bathrooms could not make me forget about the package waiting for me, the package that had my roommate's handwriting on the label.

I rushed back to the VC and started the 10 minute process of trying to open this package. By the time I got it open, Todd and Julia were looking over, handing me sharp objects to assist me in this almost impossible task. But when I got it open, it was completely worth it. The first thing I saw was a picture of Kristen, Kaitlin, Rachel and myself from Spring Break. Then a picture of Kristen, Kaitlin, and Rachel taped to the other flap of the box. Then lots of Halloween cut outs (slightly destroyed due to my box opening problems). Then the entire box filled to the brim with goodies in black, orange, green and purple. From macaroni and cheese to candy to homemade cookies to puzzles, I was half laughing half crying taking out all the toys and candy from the box. If my co-workers didn't think I was crazy before, I am sure they think I am officially off my rocker now when they saw me crack up after pulling out 2 cans of tuna (thanks Rae!!!). After being homesick all yesterday because of the PSU game, this was an unbelievable and much needed surprise. I have the bestest friends ever.

I forgot to mention yesterday that it is deer season. There is two ways you can tell it is deer season in Colorado... 1. There are big, bright orange "Welcome Hunters!" signs on every business, gas station, and church in every town. 2. There are deer.... everywhere. There are the normal white tail deer here as well as the big ear, black tail, goofy looking mule deer. The native mule deer are actually more rare to see because the white tail deer are an invasive species and are overpopulating the area, pushing the mule deer up and out. I always enjoy seeing the mule deer more so than the white tail deer because I can see the white tail at home and because the mule deer are so funny looking- in that adorable way. So when Julia and I were driving home from Aztec, and saw a large group of mule deer (about 15 or so), I slowed to a stop so I could take a better look. Suddenly I hear Julia gasp next to me. "What is it?" I ask her. She just points to across the street to where I was looking. There, dotting the entire field as far as the eye could see, were mule deer. There was at least 50, easy, just eating the alfalfa, looking up at our gawking faces. I have never seen so many deer in my life, nevertheless mule deer! When we finally started to drive again, I kept my eyes on the road and my foot off the gas in case we saw anymore. Julia, however, kept calling out mule deer spottings from the passinger seat. We must have seen 50 more mule deer in small to medium sized groups on the way home, not including the first two sightings. It was unbelievable. Julia kept insisting that this never happens, mule deer don't all gather together like this. I told her they were having a meeting about the white tails, but she kept giving me unconvinced looks.

Yesterday when I was driving back (for the second time), I kept my eyes open for deer and saw a few small groups, but nothing like what we saw that night. It was another beautiful sunset last night and Julia had dinner waiting for me when I came in the door, as if she knew I had a rough day. She made baked spiced chicken with sun dried tomatoes and acorn squash glazed with brown sugar, apple butter, and sweet spices. It was delicious. Tomorrow night I am returning the favor and making avocado soup. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Thanks for the package, girls! I miss everyone loads! Keep in touch!

2 comments:

Bridget said...

aww that was so sweet of them! gosh i guess i have to get on the ball and mail ya a package too. we missed you so much this weekend booper! kept thinking of you the whole time. keep thinking positive thoughts for psu... i'm going to the game in ohio this weekend!! love and miss you ridiculous amounts<3

p.s. LOOK! i got a gmail account! no idea how to use it yet... teach me yoda.

Unknown said...

yeah we totally missed you this weekend... i'll send pictures when my computer stops being mad at me. love you!!
ps- whatever bee sends you is automatically from me too. you're welcome!